The New Online Art Consumers
Presentation led by Anders Petterson
Tuesday, 3 November 2015 | 16.30h-17.30h
The online art market has changed significantly in the last 15 years, with the advent of new technologies and new digital platforms for the arts. These developments are now starting to have a real impact on how people discover, experience, engage with and also increasingly buy and sell art.
Issues to be explored in this discussion:
- What is the impact of technology on the art market? Is the art industry about to face a similar technological disruption that we have seen in other cultural industries such as film, music and publishing industry, or will it be different?
- How ready is the art market to meet the challenges of new technologies? What is the sector currently doing to prepare itself?
- How are people using online art platforms and why? What are the motivations and needs of online art buyers? Are these buyers different from the traditional art collector? If yes, how do you find them and how to engage with these audiences?
- Is the online art market particularly suited for a certain type of art within certain price brackets?
- What are the key challenges when buying art online? How can these be addressed?
- What is the importance of trust and reputation in the online art market?